Search This Blog

Wednesday 10 October 2012

Bon Voyage

Day 2

 I opened the curtains of our room, and saw several tourists frantically snapping photos at our hotel sign. When I observed a little longer I soon saw that they are shooting three deers, whom were taking a leisure stroll right in front of our hotel. It just made me smile, knowing  the beauty of nature is within our reach.  We ventured to Mt. Sulphur for a gondola ride. Mt. Sulphur is the tallest mountain in Banff National Park, with an elevation of 2281 meters. It got its name in 1916 from the hot springs found on its lower slopes.  From Mt. Sulphur we where able to see other mountains including Mt. Tunnel ~ 



Day 3

 We joined the Sundog tour, which takes us from Banff to Jasper. At the early stages of planning this trip, both Anthonia and I were determined not to join any tour. But at the end I was glad we did, and I highly recommend it for other people. Actually this was my first time joining a Caucasian tour. I must admit it was by far more enjoyable then Chinese ones. The tour took us to the famous lake Louise, Columbia Ice field, and made several stops along the way at various lakes and waterfalls. Our driver even pointed a family of mountain goat to us, while driving 100 km on the highway. 

 I was expecting a large tour bus, so when a humble van showed up in-front of the hotel, I was pleasantly surprised. Just two other passengers, a retired school teacher, and a master wine expert were on the tour with us. Our driver was actually a professional hiking guide. The atmosphere was very friendly and comfortable.  The wine master was a real gentleman, putting down the stool for us girls to get off the vehicle  . 

We stayed at Sawridge Inn during our Jasper visit. It was a little dated, but it was very clean, and bright from the numerous moon windows. The receptionists were all very helpful, recommending me for various horse rides, and even phoning the stables for me. All the rooms in the hotel are faced to the Jacuzzi and indoor pool which nest in the centre of the hotel. 

Jasper was not as commercialized as Banff. I found walking the streets after dinner very frightening, especially with the "October decor" if you know what I mean. Nonetheless we got back to the hotel safe and sound. 

Day 4

 While we were enjoying our breakfast in our cozy room, the stable phoned and announced that we have " disgusting weather" composed of snow, slush and strong wind. We had no choice but to postpone my much anticipated horse back ride. After wrapping layers and layers of clothes on, we decided to brave the snow and went on the 4 hour hike. I did regret going, but my dear friend was so in awe at the snow. It was fun just watching her. 



Day 5 
It was the last day. Wrote some post cards early in the morning. There is actually a little red metal mail box at the entrance of our hotel. 

We tried contacting the stable again without success.  So after we left the luggage with grey hound station, we tried to hike to old fort point. We didn't get that far but sighted some mule deers along the railroad track!!! We could get fairly close because there was a train passing through, and the mule deers were forced to stay where they are. 


I found their white buttocks to be the cutest thing~ 
The mountains were all white after a day of snow but the city remains autumn like.

Thanks for viewing~ and Special Thanks to Anthonia for being the most wonderful tripmate~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Labels